18. Solar thermal equipment exposed to vehicular traffic has to be installed not less than _______________ above the finished floor. Exception: This section must not apply where the equipment is protected from motor vehicle impact.
A. 3 feet
B. 10 feet
C. 6 feet
D. 2 feet
19. Subslab soil exhaust system ducts must extend through the roof and terminate at least ___________________ above the roof and at least 10 feet from any operable openings or air intake.
A. 6 inches
B. 8 feet
C. 5 feet
D. 10 feet
20. A passageway within a chimney or vent through which gaseous combustion products pass.
A. smoke stack
21. Air exhaust and intake openings that terminate outdoors must be protected with corrosion- resistant screens, louvers or grilles. For intake openings in commercial building the screen must not be less than ___________ nor more than ___________.
A. Not less than 1/8 inch and not more than 1/4 inch
B. Not less than 1/4 inch and not more than 1/2 inch
C. Not less than 1/4 inch and not more than 3/4 inch
D. Not less than 1/4 inch and not more than 1 inch
22. In concealed locations where piping, other than cast-iron or steel, is installed through holes or notches in studs, joists, rafters or similar members less than __________________ from the nearest edge of the member, the pipe must be protected by shield plates.
A. 1.5 inches
B. 3 inches
C. 4.5 inches
D. 6 inches
23. Refrigeration systems must be classified according to __________________________________.
A. the degree of probability that refrigerant leaked from a failed connection, seal, or component could enter an occupied area
B. the type of equipment
C. the location of the equipment
D. the pressure of the system
24. Plastic fire sprinkler piping exposed within a plenum must be used only in _____________ systems.
A. dry pipe
B. wet pipe
D. none of these
25. For combustion, ventilation and dilution air openings used to connect indoor spaces each opening must have a minimum free area of 1 square inch per 1,000 Btu/h of the total input rating of all appliances in the space, but not less than 100 square inches. One opening must commence within _____________ of the top and one opening shall commence within _____________ of the bottom of the enclosure. The minimum dimension of air openings shall be not less than 3 inches (76 mm).
A. 9 inches, 9 inches
B. 12 inches, 12 inches
C. 18 inches, 12 inches
D. 12 inches, 18 inches
26. The requirements for combustion and dilution air for gas-fired appliances must be in accordance with the __________________.
A. International Fire Code
B. International Plumbing & Heating Code
C. International Fuel Gas Code
D. none of these
27. A ________________ factory-applied name-plate must be affixed to appliances on which there must appear in legible lettering, the manufacturer’s name or trademark, the model number, serial number and the seal or mark of the approved agency.
C. plastic or metal
D. paper or metal
28. Where a smoke detection system is installed in all areas served by the duct in which the damper will be located, the smoke dampers is permitted to be controlled by the smoke detection system.
29. The International Mechanical Code regulates the design, installation, maintenance, alteration and inspection of mechanical systems that are ________________________________.
A. installed and utilized to provide control of environmental conditions and related climate change and global warming
B. installed and utilized to provide control of mechanical production processes within buildings
C. permanently installed and utilized to provide control of environmental conditions and related processes within buildings
D. all of the above
30. Ducts discharging combustible material directly into any _______________________ must conform to the requirements of NFPA 82.
A. storage container
B. holding tank
C. combustion chamber
D. any of these
31. Return air for a forced-air heating and cooling systems must not be taken from: Exceptions ignored.
A. a bedroom
B. a living room
C. a family room
D. a kitchen, garage, mechanical room, boiler room or furnace room or unconditioned attic
E. any of these
32. Where a smoke damper is installed within a duct, a smoke detector must be installed inside the duct or outside the duct with sampling tubes protruding into the duct. The detector or tubes within the duct must be installed within ____________ of the smoke damper.
A. 1 foot
B. 2 feet
C. 5 feet
D. 10 feet
33. A 500 sq. ft. room contains a refrigeration system and is occupied under normal conditions by 5 people; the mechanical ventilation system must exhaust a minimum of ____________ cubic feet per minute. Disregard any temperature rise due to the equipment.
A. 100 cubic feet per minute
B. 200 cubic feet per minute
C. 250 cubic feet per minute
D. 300 cubic feet per minute
E. 500 cubic feet per minute
34. Duct systems constructed of approved materials that penetrate nonfire-resistance-rated floor assemblies must be protected by which of the following methods: __________________. Exception: Fire dampers are not required in ducts within individual residential dwelling units.
A. A shaft enclosure in accordance with Section 713 of the International Building Code.
B. The duct connects not more than two stories, and the annular space around the penetrating duct is protected with an approved noncombustible material that resists the free passage of flame and the products of combustion.
C. In floor assemblies composed of noncombustible materials, a shaft shall not be required where the duct connects not more than three stories, and the annular space around the penetrating duct is protected with an approved noncombustible material that resists the free passage of flame and the products of combustion, and a listed fire damper is installed at each floor line.
D. any of the above
E. none of the above
35. In subslab soil exhaust systems, ducts must have a minimum slope of ___________ unit vertical in 12 units horizontal.
36. Where a code provision is less restrictive than the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance or the manufacturer’s installation instructions, the ______ must apply. Exceptions ignored.
A. conditions of the listing and the manufacturer’s installation instructions
37. The [IMC] does not require the removal, alteration or abandonment of, nor prevent the continued utilization and maintenance of, a mechanical system _______________________________.
A. that is substantially in compliance with the code.
B. that was installed before the adoption of the code.
C. lawfully in existence at the time of the adoption of the code.
D. none of the above.
38. A 35,000 Btu per hour input draft-hood equipped water heater with a 4-inch-diameter draft hood outlet, 2 feet of connector rise, and 4 feet of horizontal length is to be common vented with a 100,000 Btu per hour fan-assisted furnace with a 4-inch-diameter flue collar, 3 feet of connector rise, and 6 feet of horizontal length. The common vent consists of a clay tile-lined masonry chimney with a 30-foot height. The chimney is not exposed to the outdoors below the roof line. The internal dimensions of the clay tile liner are nominally 8 inches by 12 inches. What are the recommended vent connector diameters, and is this an acceptable installation?
A. Water Heater Vent Connector Diameter: 4 inch, Furnace Vent Connector Diameter: 4 inch, But Masonry Chimney is an not an acceptable size.
B. Water Heater Vent Connector Diameter: 4 inch, Furnace Vent Connector Diameter: 4 inch, The Masonry Chimney is an acceptable installation.
C. Water Heater Vent Connector Diameter: 3 inch, Furnace Vent Connector Diameter: 6 inch, The Masonry Chimney is an acceptable installation.
D. Water Heater Vent Connector Diameter: 4 inch, Furnace Vent Connector Diameter: 4 inch, The Masonry Chimney is not an acceptable installation.
39. A shutoff valve must be installed at the connection to each appliance where __________________________.
A. more than one fuel-oil-burning appliance is installed
B. more than two fuel-oil-burning appliance is installed
C. there is a supply fuel line manifold installed
D. there is a no supply fuel line manifold installed
40. Where ducts used for cooling are externally insulated, the insulation must be covered with a ______________ or aluminum foil having a minimum thickness of 2 mils. Exception ignored.
A. thermal foil reflective surface
B. radiant barrier
C. gas permeable membrane
D. vapor retarder
41. The design and operation of an exhaust system transporting flammable contaminants must be such that the contaminants are diluted in noncontaminated air to maintain concentrations in the exhaust flow below __________ of the contaminant’s lower flammability limit.
A. 10 percent
B. 15 percent
C. 25 percent
D. 35 percent
42. A wall-mounted canopy hood is 4 feet long is mounted in a commercial kitchen. What is the required CFM rating require for the exhaust fan in this hood.
A. 400 CFM
B. 800 CFM
C. 1600 CFM
D. 2400 CFM
43. Interior spaces intended for human occupancy must be provided with active or passive space-heating systems capable of maintaining an indoor temperature of not less than ___________ at a point 3 feet above floor on the design heating day. Exceptions ignored.
44. Mechanical systems located in an elevator shafts _______________.
A. require a minimum clearance of 4 inches from elevator equipment
B. require a minimum clearance of 8 inches from elevator equipment
C. require a minimum clearance of 12 inches from elevator equipment
D. require a minimum clearance of 16 inches from elevator equipment
E. are not allowed
45. The minimum clearance to combustibles in inches for an exhaust vent expelling hazardous gases greater than 100ºF but less than 600ºF is ________.
A. 1 inch
B. 3 inches
C. 6 inches
D. 12 inches
46. Screens may not be installed at the duct termination for a clothes dryer vent.
47. Regarding the pressure test to be used for fuel gas systems, test duration may not be less than ____________________________ of pipe volume or fraction thereof. When testing a system having a volume less than 10 cubic feet or a system in a single-family dwelling, the test duration must be not less than 10 minutes.
A. 1/2 hour for each 500 cubic feet
B. 1 hour for each 500 cubic feet
C. 1/2 hour for each 1500 cubic feet
D. 1 hour for each 1000 cubic feet
48. Mechanical systems that are a part of buildings or structures moved into or within the jurisdiction do not need to comply with the provisions of the code for new installations. Exceptions ignored.
49. Oil-fired appliances must be provided with __________ in accordance with NFPA 31.
A. combustion air
B. return air
C. filtered air
50. Energy recovery ventilation systems may not be used in which the following system(s): Exceptions ignored.
A. Hazardous exhaust systems covered in Section 510.
B. Dust, stock and refuse systems that convey explosive or flammable vapors, fumes or dust.
C. Smoke control systems covered in Section 513.
D. Commercial kitchen exhaust systems serving Type I and Type II hoods and clothes dryer exhaust systems covered in Section 504.
E. any and all of the above
51. Fuel gas piping installed _______________ of the point of delivery must not extend through any townhouse unit other than the unit served by such piping.
C. either upstream or downstream
D. none of these
52. Underground ducts must be sloped a of 1/8 inch per foot to allow drainage to a point. This drainage point must be provided with ______________.
A. a sewer drain
C. a vent
D. a trap
53. Each vertical riser in a dryer vent must be provided with a means for _______________.
D. all of these
54. Who is responsible for scheduling of inspections?
C. Building Official
D. Permit Holder
55. Combustible electrical or electronic wiring methods and materials, optical fiber cable, and optical fiber raceway exposed within a plenum must have a peak optical density not greater than 0.50, an average optical density not greater than 0.15, and a flame spread not greater than ___________ when tested in accordance with NFPA 262.
A. 5 feet
B. 10 feet
C. 15 feet
D. 20 feet
56. Fuel-fired furnaces and boilers may not be installed in closets and alcoves.
57. A 25,000 BTU gas fired appliance in a single story building requires a minimum of how many square inches of area for the combustion, ventilation and dilution air openings?
A. 25 square inches
B. 50 square inches
C. 100 square inches
D. 250 square inches
58. Where vents pass through insulated assemblies, an insulation shield constructed of not less than __________ gauge sheet metal must be installed to provide clearance between the vent and the insulation material.
A. No. 26
B. No. 22
C. No. 18
D. No. 12
59. A return air duct passes through a wall with a 2 hr. fire rating. What would be the required minimum rating for a fire damper in this duct?
A. 1 hr.
B. 1.5 hr.
C. 2 hrs
D. 3 hr.
60. Requirements necessary for the strength, stability or proper operation of an existing or proposed mechanical system, or for the public safety, health and general welfare, which are not specifically covered by the code, will be determined by __________________.
A. the code official
B. a design engineer
C. the installation contractor
D. none of the above
61. Air that is introduced into a draft hood and is mixed with the flue gases.
A. combustion air
B. depleted air
C. dilution air
D. intake air
62. Some but not all of the requirements for studwall cavities and the spaces between solid floor joists utilized as air plenums are that they must ____________________________.
A. be utilized as a plenum for supply air
B. not be part of a required fire-resistance-rated assembly
C. not convey air from more than one floor level
D. not be isolated from adjacent concealed spaces by approved fireblocking as required in the International Building Code
E. B and C