390. A dwelling has a floor area of 1500 sq. ft, with unfinished cellar not adaptable for future use, unfinished attic, and open porches. Appliances are a 12-kW range and a 5.5-kW, 240-V dryer. Assume range and dryer kW ratings equivalent to kVA ratings in accordance with 220.54 and 220.55. What is the minimum number of branch general light circuits required?
A. Three 15-A, 2-wire or two 20-A, 2-wire circuits
B. Five 15-A, 2-wire or three 20-A, 2-wire circuits
C. Two 15-A, 2-wire and two 20-A, 2-wire circuits
D. Four 15-A, 2-wire or Three 20-A, 2-wire circuits
391. Where more than one ground rod is used for grounding the electrodes, each electrode of one grounding system (including that used for strike termination devices) must be at least ____ feet from any other electrode of another grounding system.
392. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.
A. Wet Location
B. Dry Location
C. Damp Location
D. High Humidity Location
393. Electrical equipment and wiring and other electrically conductive material likely to become energized are to be installed in a manner that creates a low-impedance circuit facilitating the operation of the overcurrent device or ground detector for high-impedance grounded systems. _________ shall not be considered as an effective ground-fault current path.
A. EMT conduit
B. Copper wire
C. The earth
D. None of these
394. The point of connection between the facilities of the serving utility and the premises wiring.
A. Meter Base
B. Meter Socket
C. Power Entrance
D. Service Point
395. For permanently connected appliances rated at not over 300 volt-amperes or 1/8hp, the branch-circuit overcurrent device will __________________________________________where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is lockable in accordance with this code.
A. not be permitted
B. not be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means
C. be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means
D. none of the above
396. Sheet metal auxiliary gutters shall be supported and secured throughout their entire length at intervals not exceeding _____ ft.
397. As pertaining to Device or equipment conductor fill, for each yoke or strap containing one or more devices or equipment, a _________ volume allowance shall be made for each yoke or strap based on the largest conductor connected to a device's) or equipment supported by that yoke or strap.
398. Normally non-current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment, shall be connected together and to the electrical supply source in a manner that establishes an _________________________
A. effective ground-fault current path.
B. grounded conductor
C. ungrounded conductor
D. ground fault interruption point
399. An enclosure that is designed for either surface mounting or flush mounting and is provided with a frame, mat, or trim in which a swinging door or doors are or can be hung.
A. Panel Board
D. Cutout Box
400. "In dwelling units, where two or more branch circuits supply devices or equipment on the same yoke or mounting strap, a means to _____________________ the ungrounded supply conductors must be provided at the point
at which the branch circuits originate."
B. simultaneously disconnect
401. For conductors supplying a single motor, motor controller nameplate current ratings are permitted to be derived based on the ____________ value of the motor current using an intermittent duty cycle and other control system loads, if present.
B. intrinsic root squared
D. meter measured
402. A show window is 30 feet wide. What is the minimum number receptacle outlets that are required to be placed within 18 inches of the top of the show window?
403. A device, group of devices, or other means whereby the conductors of a circuit can be disconnected from their source of supply.
B. Disconnecting Means
C. Closed Circuit Switch
D. Relay Switch
404. What is Type HFF wiring used for?
A. Heat, Fire and Flame resistant
C. Fixture wiring
D. hydrogen atmosphere applications
405. What is the maximum percent of FMC conduit total interior area that can be filled if more that 2 conductors are used in the tube?
406. Where outdoor lampholders are attached as pendants, the connections to the circuit wires must be _______________.
407. Underground service conductors must have sufficient ampacity to carry the current for the load as calculated and the minimum size of the conductors must not be smaller than _________________________ aluminum or copper-clad aluminum.
A. 6 AWG copper or 6 AWG
B. 8 AWG copper or 6 AWG
C. 4 AWG copper or 6 AWG
D. 8 AWG copper or 8 AWG
408. Where must all of the conductors in a multiwire branch circuit originate from?
A. The same junction box.
B. The same panelboard or similar distribution equipment.
C. The same side of a three-wire panel.
D. The same size spool of conductor material.
409. A snap switch shall not be grouped or ganged in enclosures with other snap switches, receptacles, or similar devices, unless they are arranged so that the voltage between adjacent devices does not exceed __________ volts, or unless they are installed in enclosures equipped with identified, securely installed barriers between adjacent devices.
410. What is the adjustment factor percentage for more than three current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable if there are 4 current-carrying conductors in a 3/4-inch EMT?
411. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment, and the receptacle shall be located on the same level and within _________ of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment.
A. 25 ft
B. 15 ft
C. 10 ft
D. 6 ft
412. Handles or levers of circuit breakers, and similar parts that may move suddenly in such a way that persons in the vicinity are likely to be injured by being struck by them, must ______________________.
A. not be used
B. be made non-accessible
C. be locked in the open position
D. be guarded or isolated
413. What is the maximum allowable ampacity for No. 2/0 copper conductors’ type THHW, 167 F rated insulation, installed in an ambient temperature of 30 C.? There are 2 current carrying conductors in the cable.
414. The grounding electrode conductor must be ___________________________. or the items as permitted in 250.68(C) of the NEC.
A. copper, aluminum, or copper-clad aluminum
B. solid or stranded, and insulated
C. stranded, insulated, covered, or bare
D. solid or stranded, and bare
415. Devices such as pressure terminal or pressure splicing connectors and soldering lugs shall be identified for the ___________________________ and shall be properly installed and used.
A. material of the conductor
B. location of installation
C. size of conductors
D. proper spacing
416. The width of the working space in front of the electric equipment shall be the width of the equipment or ________ in., whichever is greater and the work space shall permit at least a __________ degree opening of equipment doors or hinged panels.
A. 90, 30
B. 45, 60
C. 30, 90
D. 60, 45
417. Each building or structure disconnect must________________ disconnect all ungrounded supply conductors it controls and shall have a fault-closing rating not less than the maximum available short-circuit current available at its supply terminals. Exceptions ignored.
418. _________________________ can be used in the construction of a luminaire (fixture) box.
A. Screws, crimps or solder
B. Only silver solder
C. No solder
D. none of the above
419. Conductors normally used to carry current shall be of ________ unless otherwise provided in the NEC. If the conductor material is not specified, the material and the sizes given in the NEC will apply to ________ conductors.
A. copper or aluminum, copper
B. aluminum, copper
C. copper, copper
D. copper alloy, aluminum
420. In general receptacles shall be not less than _________ ft from the inside walls of a pool.
421. Where the load is calculated on the basis of volt-amperes per square meter or per square foot, the wiring system up to and including the branch-circuit panelboards) shall be provided to serve not less than the calculated load. This load shall be ________________________ among multioutlet branch circuits within the panelboards). Branch-circuit overcurrent devices and circuits shall only be required to be installed to serve the connected load.
A. connected in parallel
C. evenly proportioned
D. determined and calculated
422. What is the adjustment factor percentage for more than three current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable if there are 21 current-carrying conductors in a 2-inch EMT?
423. A building or other structure that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side of a service disconnecting means must be supplied by _________________________. Ignoring all special conditions.
A. only one feeder or branch circuit
B. a separate service
C. multiple branch circuit feeders
D. new service entrance cabling
424. Other than for motor overload protection, no overcurrent device shall be connected in series with any conductor that is intentionally grounded; the overcurrent device opens all conductors of the circuit, including the grounded conductor, and is designed so that no pole can operate _________________.
B. above the open limit
C. until the circuit breaker for each is closed
425. Underground conduits or raceways through which moisture may contact live parts must be ____________________________.
B. RMC or RNC
C. EMT, RMC, or RNC
D. sealed or plugged at either or both ends
426. Exposed, normally non-current-carrying metal parts of fixed equipment supplied by or enclosing conductors or components that are likely to become energized must be connected to an equipment grounding conductor under which of the following conditions?
A. Where within 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically or 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally of ground or grounded metal objects and subject to contact by persons
B. Where located in a wet or damp location and not isolated
C. Where in electrical contact with metal
D. provided with GFI protector where equipment operates with any terminal at over 150 volts to ground
E. any of these
427. Splices or taps are permitted to be used within gutters where they are accessible by means of removable covers or doors. The conductors, including splices and taps, must not fill the gutter to more than ________ percent of its area.
428. Where a submersible pump is used in a metal well casing, the well casing must be connected to the pump circuit equipment ________________.
A. feed wire system
B. grounded breaker system
C. GFI neutral conductor
D. grounding conductor