23. In conventional light-frame construction, exterior gable end walls, braced wall panel sheathing in the top story must be extended and fastened to roof framing where the spacing between parallel exterior braced wall lines is greater than ____________. Exceptions ignored.
A. 25 feet
B. 40 feet
C. 50 feet
D. 60 feet
24. Class III standpipe fire control systems must be installed throughout buildings where the floor level of the highest story is located more than _____________ above the lowest level of fire department vehicle access. Exceptions ignored.
A. 10 feet
B. 20 feet
C. 30 feet
D. 40 feet
25. In assemblies used for structural fire resistance and fire-resistance-rated construction, where protection of the vertical opening by approved shutters at every penetrated floor is permitted in accordance with this the code. The shutters must be of noncombustible construction and have a fire-resistance rating of not less than ____________.
A. .5 hours
B. 1 hour
C. 1.5 hours
D. 2 hours
26. In buildings constructed in accordance with the provisions of conventional light-frame construction bearing and exterior wall studs are to be capped with double top plates installed to provide overlapping at corners and at intersections with other partitions. End joints in double top plates must be offset at least _________ inches, and be nailed with not less than eight 16d face nails be nailed in accordance with Table 2304.10.1 on each side of the joint. Exception ignored.
A. 24 inches
B. 36 inches
C. 48 inches
D. 60 inches
27. Mineral-surfaced roll roofing may not be applied on roof slopes below _________ vertical in 12 units horizontal.
A. 1/4 unit
B. 1/2 unit
C. 1 unit
D. 2 units
28. For detached structures accessory to occupancies in Group R-3, such as garages, utility buildings or other unheated facilities a vapor barrier _______ mil thick is required.
D. no vapor barrier is required
29. The clear space between a handrail and a wall or other surface shall be a minimum of _____.
A. 1 inches
B. 1.5 inches
C. 2 inches
D. 2.5 inches
30. _________________ construction is that type of construction in which the exterior walls are of noncombustible materials and the interior building elements are of any material permitted by the code.
A. Type I
B. Type II
C. Type III
D. Type IV
31. Chimneys must extend at least 2 feet higher than any portion of the building within 10 feet, but shall be not less than _________ above the highest point where the chimney passes through the roof.
A. 2 feet
B. 3 feet
C. 4 feet
D. 5 feet
32. Combustible framing around flues and chimneys must be a minimum of not less than___________, from flues, chimneys and fireplaces and __________ away from flue openings, but shall not be less than the distance specified in other sections of this code and the International Mechanical Code.
A. 1 inch, 2 inches
B. 2 inches, 6 inches
C. 6 inches, 12 inches
D. 6 inches, 6 inches
33. For open roof valleys (valley lining exposed) lined with metal, the valley lining must be not less than ______________ wide and of any of the corrosion-resistant metals in Table 1507.2.9.2.
A. 16 inches
B. 20 inches
C. 24 inches
D. 28 inches
34. An opening through one side (wall, floor or ceiling membrane) of an assembly.
A. wall penetration
B. ceiling penetration
C. membrane penetration
D. floor penetration
35. Combustible framing must be not less than ______________ nominal, but may not be less than the distance specified in Sections 2111 and 2113 and the International Mechanical Code, from flues, chimneys and fireplaces, and 6 inches away from flue openings.
A. 6 inches
B. 4 inches
C. 3 inches
D. 2 inches
36. In assemblies used for structural fire resistance and fire-resistance-rated construction, each portion of a building separated by one or more fire walls that comply with the provisions of the fire wall section of the code is to be considered ______________________, and the extent and location of such fire walls shall provide a complete separation.
A. a separate room
B. a separate partition
C. a separate building
D. a separate fire zone
37. In Type I and II construction, The use of combustible piping materials is permitted when installed in accordance with the limitations of the _____________________________________________________________.
A. International Mechanical Code and the International Plumbing Code
D. Plumbing Pipe Association of America
38. Where parking is provided, what is the minimum number of accessible parking spaces that must be provided at a facility that has 77 total parking spaces.
A. 4 accessible spaces
B. 6 accessible spaces
C. 8 accessible spaces
D. 10 accessible spaces
39. Where drinking fountains are required, no fewer than ___________ drinking fountains must be provided. Exceptions ignored.
40. A 3-second gust wind velocities 100 mph wind load is equivalent to ____________ allowable stress design wind speeds.
A. 110 mph
B. 105 mph
C. 90 mph
D. 78 mph
41. Minimum uniformly distributed live loads used in design of a bowling alley is ____________________.
A. 50 pounds per square foot
B. 60 pounds per square foot
C. 75 pounds per square foot
D. 100 pounds per square foot
42. Foam plastic insulation used as interior wall or ceiling finish or as interior trim in plenums must exhibit a flame spread index of ________ or less and a smoke developed index of ________ or less when tested.
A. 25, 450
B. 450, 450
C. 75, 75
D. 175, 150
43. Crawl spaces are required to be provided with a minimum of one access opening not less than _________________________.
A. 22 inches by 24 inches
B. 22 inches by 30 inches
C. 18 inches by 24 inches
D. 18 inches by 30 inches
44. What is the maximum allowable span for floor joist of #2 Southern Pine 2X12s spaced 12 inches o.c. in residential living areas, live load = 40 psf, L/D = 360, dead load = 10 psf?
A. 10 feet 3 inches
B. 13 feet 6 inches
C. 16 feet 2 inches
D. 19 feet 1 inch
45. Connections depending on joist hangers or framing anchors, ties and other mechanical fastenings not otherwise covered _______________.
A. are not permitted
B. are only permitted if they are stainless or galvanized steel
C. are permitted where approved
D. are permitted only on HT type construction
46. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, kitchens, storage rooms and laundry rooms are required to have a ceiling height of not less than __________ feet. Exceptions excluded.
A. 8 feet
B. 7 feet 6 inches
C. 7 feet
D. 6 feet 8 inches
47. What is the minimum net thickness (inches) of lumber applied to a floor and placed perpendicular to supports 24 inches o.c.? The lumber has been surfaced dry.
A. 25/32 inch
B. 5/8 inch
C. 7/8 inch
D. 3/4 inch
48. The application of a new protective roof coating over an existing ____________________ is permitted without tear off of existing roof coverings.
A. protective roof coating, mineral or modified bitumen roofing
B. metal roof panel or metal roof shingles
C. built-up roof, surfaced roll roofing, or thermoset and thermoplastic single-ply roofing
D. spray polyurethane foam roofing system or spray polyurethane foam roofing system
E. any of the above
49. The use of a building or structure, or portion thereof, for educational, supervision or personal care services for more than ______ older than _______ , shall be classified as a Group E occupancy.
A. ten children, 2 years of age
B. six children, 2 1/2 years of age
C. twelve children, 2 years of age
D. five children, 2 1/2 years of age
50. In assemblies used for structural fire resistance and fire-resistance-rated construction, fire-protection-rated glazing used in fire window assemblies located in fire partitions and fire barriers is limited to use in assemblies with a maximum fire-resistance rating of ____________.
A. 1 hour
B. 1.5 hours
C. 2 hours
D. 2.5 hours
51. A building is 57 feet wide and 121 long. What is the gross area of the building?
A. 5000 sf
B. 7367 sf
C. 6897 sf
D. none of these
52. What is the minimum normal weight concrete cover in inches that will provide a Fire-Resistance Rating of 3 hours for a W14 x 43 structural shape steel column?
A. 1 inch
B. 2 inches
C. 2.5 inches
D. 3 inches
E. none of these
53. The minimum allowable thickness of architectural cast stone on the exterior of a building is ________.
A. 0.75 inches
B. 1 inch
C. 2 inches
D. 3 inches
54. The space surrounding a chimney lining system or vent installed within a masonry chimney may not be used to vent ______________________.
A. no more than two additional appliances
B. any other appliance
C. natural gas appliances
D. wood burning stoves
E. all of the above
55. What is the maximum allowable span for ceiling joist of #2 Southern Pine 2X8s spaced 16 inches o.c. live load = 10 psf, L/D = 240, dead load = 5 psf? The area above the ceiling in uninhabitable and there is no storage area.
A. 14 feet 5 inches
B. 18 feet 3 inches
C. 19 feet 2 inches
D. 21 feet 7 inches
56. To obtain a building permit, the applicant must first file an application in writing on a form furnished by the department of building safety for that purpose. The application does not require which of the following items.
A. Indicate the use and occupancy for which the proposed work is intended.
B. State the valuation of the proposed work.
C. Be signed by the applicant, or the applicant's authorized agent.
D. Identify and describe the work to be covered by the permit for which application is made.
E. None of the above items.
57. Concrete to be placed during freezing or near-freezing weather must ___________________________.
A. be heated or otherwise chemically treated to produce it own heat
B. comply with the requirements of ACI 318, Section 5.12.
C. be insulated by the use straw insulation
D. be heated by the use radiant or other heaters
58. Class III standpipe fire control systems must be installed throughout buildings where _______________. Exceptions ignored.
A. any of the stories are above or below grade plane
B. two or more stories are above or below grade plane
C. three or more stories are above or below grade plane
D. four or more stories are above or below grade plane
59. What interior wall and ceiling class finish is required in sprinklered rooms and enclosed spaces of a Group A-4 occupancy?
A. Class A finish
B. Class B finish
C. Class C finish
D. Unclassified finish
60. What is the maximum allowable span for floor joist of #2 Southern Pine 2X6s spaced 16 inches o.c. in residential sleeping areas, live load = 30 psf, L/D = 360, dead load = 10 psf?
A. 10 feet 3 inches
B. 12 feet 5 inches
C. 11 feet 10 inches
D. 8 feet 9 inches
61. In buildings constructed in accordance with the provisions of conventional light-frame construction in Seismic Design Categories D and E' solid blocked cripple walls exceeding 14 inches in height _____________________.
A. need not be considered a story
B. must be considered a story
C. are not allowed
D. must be treated wood
62. The use of the provisions for conventional light-frame construction in this section are not to be permitted for buildings in Seismic Design Categories B, C, D, E or F.
D. D, E and F
E. All the above except A
63. On buildings, structures, electrical, gas, mechanical, and plumbing systems or alterations requiring a permit, a fee for each permit must be paid as required, in accordance with the schedule as established __________________________.
A. by the building inspector
B. by the International Code Council (ICC)
C. by the applicable governing authority.
D. by the Uniform Permit Fee Schedule for Commercial Buildings & Structures.
64. Where _______________________ of any pane of glass are not firmly supported, or are subjected to unusual load conditions, detailed construction documents, detailed shop drawings and analysis or test data assuring safe performance for the specific installation are required to be prepared by a registered design professional.
A. one or more sides
65. The period of time a building element, component or assembly maintains the ability to confine a fire, continues to perform a given structural function, or both, as determined by the tests, or the methods based on tests, prescribed in Section 703.
A. flame spread rating
B. smoke rating
C. fire spread time
D. fire resistance rating
66. Main exterior exit doors or gates which obviously and clearly are identifiable as exits need not have exit signs where approved by the ___________________.
A. building official
B. general contractor
C. design professional
D. fire department
67. The building official is authorized to issue a temporary certificate of occupancy before the completion of the entire work covered by the permit, provided that such portion or portions ________________________.
A. completely finished
B. approved by the owner, contractor and building official.
C. have no exposed electrical connections.
D. shall be occupied safely
68. Direction signage indicating the location of the other means of egress and which are accessible means of egress must be provided at which of the following locations?
A. At exits serving a required accessible space but not providing an approved accessible means of egress.
B. At elevator landings.
C. Within areas of refuge.
D. All of the above