253. A multi-family dwelling has 40 dwelling units. Meters are in two banks of 20 each with individual feeders to each dwelling unit. One-half of the dwelling units are equipped with electric ranges not exceeding 12 kW each. Assume range kW rating equivalent to kVA rating in accordance with 220.55. Other half of ranges are gas ranges. Area of each dwelling unit is 840 sq. ft. Laundry facilities on premises are available to all tenants. Add no circuit to individual dwelling unit. Could you use 2 15 A. circuits to handle the general lighting load?
254. The general calculated load shall be not less than _______ percent of the first 10 kVA plus _______ percent of the remainder of the loads.
A. 100, 125
B. 80, 100
C. 100, 40
D. 90, 50
255. The common point on a wye-connection in a polyphase system or midpoint on a single-phase, 3-wire system, or midpoint of a single-phase portion of a 3-phase delta system, or a midpoint of a 3-wire, direct-current system.
B. Switching Device
C. Service Point
D. Neutral Point.
256. High-impedance grounded neutral systems in which a grounding impedance _______________ ground-fault current to a low value shall be permitted for 3-phase ac systems of 480 volts to 1000 volts where certain conditions are met.
A. usually a resistor
B. of not less greater that 10 ohms
C. of not greater than 10 mA.
D. of not greater than 240 Volts.
257. In dwelling units, where two or more single-phase ranges are supplied by a 3-phase, 4-wire feeder or service, the total load is calculated on the basis of __________ the maximum number connected between any two phases.
A. one and one half
C. three times
D. four times
258. What is the demand factor percentage for 9 household electric clothes dryers in a multi-family dwelling unit?
259. Bonding Conductor or Jumper
A. Performs a function without the necessity of human intervention
B. A generic term for a group of nonflammable synthetic chlorinated hydrocarbons used as electrical insulating media.
C. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).
D. A reliable conductor to ensure the required electrical conductivity between metal parts required to be electrically connected.
260. Raceways shall be provided with expansion, expansion - deflection, or deflection fittings where necessary to __________________ for thermal expansion, deflection, and contraction.
A. provide enhancement
B. provide restriction
261. The identification of terminals to which a grounded conductor is to be connected shall be substantially __________ in color and the identification of other terminals shall be of a readily distinguishable different color.
262. Installations underground or in concrete slabs or masonry in direct contact with the earth; in locations subject to saturation with water or other liquids, such as vehicle washing areas; and in unprotected locations exposed to weather.
A. Wet Location
B. Dry Location
C. Damp Location
D. High Humidity Location
263. The point of attachment of the overhead service conductors to a building or other structure has to provide the minimum clearances as set forth in the NEC and in no case shall this point of attachment be less than _______ ft above finished grade.
264. IMC larger than metric designator trade size ______ must not be used.
265. A device that provides a means for connecting intersystem bonding conductors for communications systems to the grounding electrode system.
A. Grounding Electrode Conductor
B. Intersystem Bonding Termination.
C. Grounding Electrode
D. Explosion proof Apparatus
266. What is the maximum allowable ampacity for No. 2/0 copper conductors type THHW, 167 F rated insulation, installed in an ambient temperature of 30 C.? There are 2 current carrying conductors in the cable.
267. An LB is an example of a ____________.
A. Conduit Body
D. Junction Box
268. All electric pool water heaters shall have the heating elements subdivided into loads not exceeding ______ amperes and protected at not over ______ amperes.
A. 20, 40
B. 40, 80
C. 48, 60
D. 50, 80
269. The branch circuit serving emergency lighting and power circuits _____________ part of a multiwire branch circuit.
A. shall be
B. shall not be
C. can be
D. is sometimes
270. An outlet on a 20 amp rated circuit must be rated at ____________ amps.
D. Either A or B
271. A warehouse storage area uses high pressure sodium lighting. What is the minimum lighting load in the warehouse area if it has 10,500 sq. ft. for storage?
272. What is the maximum distance in feet for appliance receptacle outlets to be installed in a dwelling unit for specific appliances, such as laundry equipment?
273. Enclosures for overcurrent devices shall be mounted in a _________ position unless that is shown to be impracticable.
274. Lighting track may be installed in the following locations?
A. In storage battery rooms
B. In wet or damp locations
C. Where likely to be subjected to physical damage
D. Where concealed
E. none of the above
275. All ____________________ of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors must be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord. Exceptions excluded.
A. control conductors wiring
B. relay conductors control wiring
D. communication wiring
276. For overhead conductors near a swimming pool for Insulated cables, 0-750 Volts to ground, supported on and cabled together with an effectively grounded bare messenger or effectively grounded neutral conductor, what is the clearance in any direction to the observation stand, tower, or diving platform.
A. 22.5 feet
B. 25 feet
C. 14.5 feet
D. 17 feet
277. The dwelling has a floor area of 1500 sq. ft. exclusive of an unfinished cellar not adaptable for future use, unfinished attic, and open porches. It has two 20-A small appliance circuits, one 20-A laundry circuit, two 4-kW wall-mounted ovens, one 5.1-kW counter-mounted cooking unit, a 4.5-kW water heater, a 1.2-kW dishwasher, a 5-kW combination clothes washer and dryer, six 7-A, 230-V room air-conditioning units, and a 1.5-kW permanently installed bathroom space heater. Assume wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking unit, water heater, dishwasher, and combination clothes washer and dryer kW ratings equivalent to kVA. What is the total air conditioner load in amperes?
278. In swimming pool installations, where none of the required bonded parts is in direct connection with the pool water, the pool water shall be in direct contact with an approved corrosion-resistant conductive surface that exposes not less than _______________ of surface area to the pool water at all times. The conductive surface shall be located where it is not exposed to physical damage or dislodgement during usual pool activities, and
A. 9 sq. in.
B. 81 sq. in.
C. 100 sq. in.
D. 300 sq. in.
279. An insulated conductor that is intended for use as a grounded conductor, where contained within a flexible cord, shall be identified by a _______________ outer finish or by methods permitted by 400.22.
A. white or gray
280. For circuits supplying lighting units that have ballasts, transformers, or autotransformers, the calculated load must be based on ______________________________
A. total watts of the lamps
B. efficiency ratio of the luminaire
C. the total ampere ratings of such units and not on the total watts of the lamps
D. number of lamps per unit x the wattage of each lamp
281. Each unit length of a heating cable must be mark with an identify or and must indicate what _________ requirement's) for that element.
D. voltage, wattage and amperage
282. The NEC (National Electrical Code) provided that the number of circuits confined in a single enclosure be _______________. Limiting the number of circuits in a single enclosure minimizes the effects from a short circuit or ground fault in one circuit.
A. varyingly restricted
B. restricted to 3 circuits
C. restricted to 1 circuit
283. In a one family dwelling and each unit of a two-family dwelling that is at grade level, at least one receptacle outlet readily accessible from grade and not more than ____________ above grade must be installed at the front and back of the dwelling.
A. 6 1/2 ft
B. 78 in.
C. 6.5 feet
D. all of the above
284. A applied to circuit breakers, a qualifying term indicating that there is purposely introduced a delay in the tripping action of the circuit breaker, which delay decreases as the magnitude of the current increases.
A. Delayed Trip
B. Slow Blow
C. Time Protected
D. Inverse Time
285. As pertaining to class 1, class 2, and class 3 remote-control, signaling, and power-limited circuits, separation of ground-fault protection time-current characteristics shall conform to the manufacturer’s recommendations and shall consider all required tolerances and disconnect operating time to achieve _____________ selectivity.
A. 50 percent
B. 75 percent
C. 100 percent
D. none of these
286. Raceways on exteriors of buildings or other structures must be arranged to drain and shall be ____________ in wet locations.
D. listed or approved for use
287. Where a branch circuit supplies continuous loads or any combination of continuous and noncontinuous loads, the rating of the overcurrent device must not be less than the non-continuous load plus what percent of the continuous load.
288. Dwelling unit receptacle outlets in or on floors are not counted as part of the required number of receptacle outlets unless located they are located within _________ of the wall.
A. 12 inches
B. 18 inches
C. 2 ft.
D. 8 inches
289. Operation of equipment in excess of normal, full-load rating, or of a conductor in excess of rated ampacity that, when it persists for a sufficient length of time, would cause damage or dangerous overheating. A fault, such as a short circuit or ground fault, is not an overload.
A. Ground Fault
B. Arc Fault
D. Short Circuit
290. The use of EMT is permitted to be used for _________________ work.
D. both B and C
291. Each multiwire branch circuit must be have a means that will simultaneously disconnect all ___________________ at the point where the branch circuit originates.
B. grounded conductors
C. ungrounded conductors
D. terminal path conductors
292. For an outside branch circuit or feeder, the disconnecting means for each supply may consist of not more than _____ switches or _____ circuit breakers mounted in a single enclosure, in a group of separate enclosures, or in or on a switchboard or switchgear.
A. six, six
B. two, two
C. three, three
D. eight, eight
293. High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) Conduit a nonmetallic raceway of circular cross section, with associated couplings, connectors, and fittings for the installation of electrical conductors is not allowed to be installed _____________.
A. In discrete lengths or in continuous lengths from a reel
B. In cinder fill
C. In locations subject to severe corrosive influences as covered in 300.6 and where subject to chemicals for which the conduit is listed
D. within a building
294. A 3000 sq. ft. store has 30 ft of show window. There are a total of 80 duplex receptacles. The service is 120/240 V, single phase 3-wire service. Actual connected lighting load is 8500 VA. What is the total calculated show window lighting load in VA.?
295. For a one-family dwelling, the feeder disconnecting means must have a rating of not less than _____ amperes, 3-wire.
296. Where can additional grounding and bonding requirements for natural and artificially made bodies of water be found in the NEC.
A. Article 517
B. Article 230
C. Article 690
D. Article 682
297. The minimum cover requirements for underground wiring 0 to 1000 Volts, in Type UF cable under streets, highways, roads, alleys, driveways, and parking lots is ___________ inches.
298. Which of the following areas of construction does the NEC (National Electrical Code) not cover?
A. private premises
B. parking lots
"C. automotive vehicles
other than mobile homes and recreational vehicles"
D. Installations used by the electric utility
299. Overcurrent protection has to be provided in each ungrounded circuit conductor and must be located _____________________. Exceptions ignored.
A. at the point where the conductors receive their supply
B. at each end of a conductor
C. at a convent service point in the circuit
D. on the load end of the circuit
300. It is permissible to calculate the load of a feeder or service that supplies three or more dwelling units of a multifamily dwelling in accordance with Table 220.84 if all the following condition's) is (are) met.
A. Each dwelling unit is equipped with electric resistance heating systems.
B. No dwelling unit is supplied by more than one feeder
C. Each dwelling unit is equipped with electric cooking equipment.
D. B and C
301. Metal or nonmetallic raceways, cable armors, and cable sheaths must be _______________ between cabinets, boxes, fit-tings, or other enclosures or outlets.
302. Continuous Duty
A. Operation at a substantially constant load for an indefinitely long time.
B. Operation at a substantially constant load for an 2 or more hours.
C. Operation at a substantially constant voltage for an indefinitely long time.
D. Operation at a substantially constant load for the normal operating requirements of the device.
303. A unit load of not less than ___________ VA per square foot is required for general lighting in dwelling units.
304. Switches or circuit breakers must not disconnect the __________ conductor of a circuit. Exception ignored.
305. In dwelling units, where a _______________________ is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the width of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the _______________________ is considered to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces.
A. wall outlets
B. wall switches
D. range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink
306. On overhead service-drop individual conductors must be insulated or covered, however, the _________ conductor of a multiconductor cable is permitted to be bare.
B. isolated hot leg
307. The entrance to all buildings, vaults, rooms, or enclosures containing exposed live parts or exposed conductors operating at over 1000 volts, nominal, shall be kept locked unless such entrances are under ____________________________________.
A. the legal occupancy limit of the building
B. protection of a circuit ground fault device
C. amperage limit of 1200 amperes
D. the observation of a qualified person at all times