85. Curved stairways with winder treads must have treads and risers in accordance with the code and the smallest radius may not be less than ________ the required width of the stairway.
A. 1.5 times
B. 2 times
C. 3 times
D. 4 times
86. What is the Rated Fire-Resistance Period for a hollow brick wall, not filled, that is 3.4 inches thick?
A. 4 hours
B. 3 hours
C. 2 hours
D. 1 hour
87. In reference to Covered Mall Buildings. Fire-resistance-rated separation _________ required between tenant spaces and the mall.
A. is not
B. of 1 Hr. is
C. of 2 Hr. is
D. of 3 Hr. is
88. In new construction, required smoke alarms must receive their primary power from the building wiring where such wiring is served from a commercial source, and the smoke alarms must also be equipped with ______________. Exceptions ignored.
A. a battery backup
B. a solar power system
C. an emergency lighting system
D. a power saver system
89. Ballasted non-penetrating systems are to be designed and installed only on roofs with slopes not more than ________________________________.
A. one unit vertical in 12 units horizontal.
B. two unit vertical in 12 units horizontal.
C. three unit vertical in 12 units horizontal.
D. six unit vertical in 12 units horizontal.
90. Sheathing nails or other approved sheathing connectors shall be driven so that their head or crown __________ the surface of the sheathing.
B. is flush with
C. is counter sunk into
91. Fire department glass access panels are to be made of ____________ glass.
A. double strength
92. Where the combustible exterior wall covering is furred from the wall and forms a solid surface, the distance between the back of the covering and the wall may not exceed ____________ or the concealed space created must be fireblocked in accordance with the code.
A. 1-5/8 inches
B. 2-1/8 inches
C. 2-5/8 inches
D. 3-1/8 inches
93. Construction in which the exterior load-bearing and nonload-bearing walls and partitions are of unfired clay masonry units, and floors, roofs and interior framing are wholly or partly of wood or other approved materials.
A. Masonry Construction
B. Adobe Construction
C. Mud Construction
D. Gypsum Construction
94. Group H Occupancy Classification is for what type of occupancies?
B. High Temperature Storage
95. In reference to Covered Mall Buildings. Anchor building means of egress. The path of egress travel of malls may not exit through anchor buildings. Malls terminating at an anchor building where no other means of egress has been provided shall be considered as a _____________________.
A. valid means of egress
B. dead-end mall
C. low volume egress point
D. main entrance and egress
96. A-2 Assembly uses intended for food and/or drink consumption including, but not limited to:
A. Courtrooms, Dance halls (not including food or drink consumption) Exhibition halls
B. Motion picture theaters Symphony and concert halls Television and radio studios admitting an audience Theaters
C. Banquet halls, Night clubs, Restaurants, Taverns and bars
D. Amusement arcades, Art galleries, Bowling alleys, Churches, Community halls
97. Automatic dampers, regardless of the purpose for which they are installed within the smoke control system, must be __________ and conform to the requirements of approved, recognized standards.
B. normally closed
D. normally open
98. A continuous membrane, either vertical or horizontal, such as a wall, floor, or ceiling assembly that is designed and constructed to restrict the movement of smoke.
A. fire stop
B. fire block
C. smoke block
D. smoke barrier
99. The capacity, in inches , of means of egress components other than stairways is to be calculated by multiplying the occupant load served by such component by a means of egress capacity factor of ____________ per occupant.
A. 0.1 inch
B. 0.2 inch
C. 0.5 inch
D. 1.0 inch
100. The following are all required inspections except:
A. Frame inspection.
B. Footing and foundation inspection.
C. Final inspection.
D. Concrete slab and under-floor inspection.
E. Contractor license documents.
101. The minimum aisle width of assembly seating where the aisle does not serve more than 50 seats is __________.
A. 32 inches
B. 36 inches
C. 40 inches
D. 44 inches
102. A horizontal diaphragm element parallel and in line with the applied force that collects and transfers diaphragm shear forces to the vertical elements of the lateral-force-resisting system and/or distributes forces within the diaphragm.
B. shear wall
103. Any attic space having a clear height of 30 inches or more is required to have an access opening of not less than ________________________ .
A. 22 inches by 24 inches
B. 22 inches by 30 inches
C. 18 inches by 24 inches
D. 20 inches by 30 inches
104. Where separate central holding cells are provided for adult males, juvenile males, adult females or juvenile females, one of each type shall be accessible. Where central holding cells are provided and are not separated by age or sex, at least ______ must be provided.
A. 1 accessible cell
B. 2 accessible cells
C. 3 accessible cells
D. 4 accessible cells
105. In conventional light-frame construction, where roof trusses are used and are installed perpendicular to an exterior braced wall line, lateral forces must be transferred from the roof diaphragm to the braced wall by blocking of the ends of the trusses or by other approved methods providing equivalent lateral force transfer. Blocking is required to be a minimum of ______________ nominal in thickness and equal to the depth of the truss at the wall line.
A. 1 inch
B. 2 inches
C. 3.5 inches
D. 4 inches
106. Places of religious worship are classified as ___________ occupancies.
107. For reinforcement used in shotcrete construction the maximum size of reinforcement shall be ________ bars unless it is demonstrated by preconstruction tests that adequate encasement of larger bars will be achieved.
A. No. 5
B. No. 8
C. No. 10
D. No. 14
108. In light frame construction, footings supporting 3 floors shall have a minimum width of ________________ and a minimum depth of ________________. Exceptions ignored.
A. 12 inches, 6 inches
B. 15 inches, 6 inches
C. 16 inches, 8 inches
D. 18 inches, 8 inches
109. In assemblies used for structural fire resistance and fire-resistance-rated construction, fire walls are required to have sufficient structural stability under fire conditions to _____________ construction on either side without collapse of the wall for the duration of time indicated by the required fire-resistance rating.
A. retard collapse of
B. totally support the
C. allow collapse of
D. brace the elements of
110. A hand held portable fire extinguisher is installed in a Class C fire hazard area. The extinguisher's weight is 44 lbs. What is the maximum allowable height that this fire extinguisher can be installed above the floor.
A. 5 feet
B. 3.5 feet
C. 4 inches
D. 36 inches
111. A manual actuation fire-extinguishing device must be located at or near a means of egress from the cooking area not less than ______ and not more than _______ from the kitchen exhaust system. Exception ignored.
A. 5 feet, 10 feet
B. 10 feet, 15 feet
C. 10 feet, 20 feet
D. 15 feet, 25 feet
112. Which of the following is not required to be included in the construction documents for structural concrete construction?
A. The magnitude and location of prestressing forces.
B. The specified strength or grade of reinforcement.
C. Name and location of the concrete mixing plant.
D. Stressing sequence for post tensioning tendons.
113. In a covered mall building, there must be a minimum of ________ clear exit width to a height of 8 feet between any projection of a tenant space bordering the mall and the nearest kiosk, vending machine, bench, display opening, food court or other obstruction to means of egress travel.
A. 8 feet
B. 10 feet
C. 12 feet
D. 14 feet
114. What is the minimum required depth of footings below the undisturbed ground surface?
A. 6 inches
B. 8 inches
C. 10 inches
D. 12 inches
115. Nonclassified roofing is approved material that is not listed as a _______________ roof covering.
A. Class A
B. Class B
C. Class C
D. All of the above
116. Footings for masonry fireplaces and their chimneys must be constructed of concrete or solid masonry not less than _________ thick and shall extend at least ______ beyond the face of the fireplace or foundation wall on all sides.
A. 10 inches, 5 inches
B. 6 inches, 12 inches
C. 12 inches, 4 inches
D. 12 inches, 6 inches